Outlook "Report Message" Add In
Using the "Report Message" Add-on in Microsoft Outlook
When you come across suspicious emails in your inbox, Microsoft's "Report Message" add-on for Outlook allows you to report them with ease. This tool is essential in helping both Microsoft and your organization keep email threats at bay. Below is a step-by-step guide on how to use it.
- The "Report Message" add-on must be installed and set up by your IT department.
- Ensure you have Microsoft Outlook open and are logged in to your account.
Reporting a Suspicious Email
1. Select the Email
Start by clicking on the suspicious email in your inbox to select it.
2. Click on "Report Message"
Navigate to the Outlook ribbon on top. Look for the "Report Message" button and click on it.
3. Choose the Type of Email
A dropdown menu will appear with several options:
- Phishing: For emails attempting to steal personal information.
- Junk: For unsolicited spam emails.
- ... (other options may vary based on your organization's configuration)
Choose the option that best describes the suspicious email.
4. Confirm Your Report
After selecting the type of email, a confirmation window will pop up. Click "Report" to finalize your submission.
What Happens Next?
- The email is sent to Microsoft for analysis to help improve email protection algorithms.
- Depending on your organization's configuration, the IT/security department may also receive the reported email for further investigation.
The "Report Message" add-on is a powerful tool to enhance the security of your organization. By actively reporting suspicious emails, you're not only protecting yourself but also contributing to a safer email environment for all users.
If you encounter any issues or have further questions, please contact us.
Updated on: 05/10/2023